Howard H. Weller
For the past 28 years I have successfully represented high profile clients in the entertainment industry, as well as businesses both global and local and individuals from all walks of life in litigation, dispute resolution, settlements, licensing and commercial transactions. My work has carried me across a wide range of industries, including film, music, fashion, theater, television, advertising and fine arts and has covered all manner of civil disputes, including contracts, copyright, trademark, unfair competition, fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, negligence, fraud, defamation, libel, first amendment, employment, conversion and tortious interference.
After graduating law school, I served as a federal law clerk for the Honorable Hector M. Laffitte, U.S. District Court Judge for the District of Puerto Rico. Upon completion of my judicial clerkship, I joined Gold Farrell & Marks, then one of the top New York entertainment litigation firms. Through mergers, I joined Sonnenschein (now Dentons, the world’s largest law firm) and in 2008 I helped launch the New York Office of Mitchell Silberberg and Knupp, a Los Angeles firm renowned for its storied entertainment practice and recently named “Entertainment Law Firm of the Year” by the Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel.
In 2014, following 6 years as a partner at MS&K, I established my own law practice in New York City and now have greater flexibility to provide alternative and less costly fee arrangements. My approach to serving my clients’ interests, however, remains the same: I listen to what my clients want, I advise on what they can expect, and I pursue their objectives relentlessly and efficiently.
- New York Super Lawyers (2010, 2013–2019)
- Cardozo Law Review
Federal Judicial Clerkship
- Honorable Hector M. Laffitte, United States District Court, District of Puerto Rico
1990 – 1991
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D. 1990
- Colorado College, B.A. 1984
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker, “A Primer On Fair Use Under U.S. Copyright Law,” February 2010
- Speaker, “The First Sale Doctrine Under U.S. Copyright Law,” February 2010
- Speaker, “The Nuts and Bolts of Litigating Copyright and Trademark Infringement Lawsuits,” January 2009
- Author, “Trademark Battles Over Priority of Use,” The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, February 1998
- Author, “Is The Use of Nuclear Weapons Illegal?” New York Law Journal, Vol. 212, No. 6, 1994